For 2005 the Vandals lose a senior starter at cornerback and a senior free safety (and captain) from…
Idaho Announces Depth Chart
LINK: VandalVenue.com Depth Chart
There are some noteworthy observations with the first official depth chart, some of which include the following:
(1) The loss of Hank Therien forced a significant shuffling of the Vandal offensive line for the season opener. Nate VanderPol moves from right tackle to left tackle to take over for Hank, while Jade Tadvick moves from guard to right tackle. The guards will be manned by senior Tony Kiel and junior Ryan Waage, with junior Jarrod Schulte lining up at center. The backups, though talented, will be young and inexperienced.
(2) Senior Brian Yarno moves from runningback to tightend, and will backup senior Willie Sipoloa. It is uncertain how much action sophomores Luke Smith-Anderson and Keith Greer will see in the game as they continue to recover from injuries (mostly sustained last season).
(3) Among the top 6 receivers are Jeff Stowe (2003: 11 games, 30 receptions for 316 yards and 4 TDs), Jimmy Labita (2003: 11 games, 26 receptions, 438 yards, 2 TDs), Wendell Octave (2003: 11 games, 19 receptions, 322 yards, 2 TDs), and Bobby Bernal-Wood (2003: 7 games, 15 receptions, 181 yards). Rounding out the top of the rotation is junior Robert Nembhard and incoming freshman Desmond Belton.
(4) Cliff Mason and Justin Wall earned top 2 honors at runningback.
(5) Three true freshmen made the defensive 2-deeps, including Jevon Butler who is listed as the starter at strong safety. Evan Ruud joins fellow tri-cities native Brandon Kania as his backup at DE, while the Ben Alexander will work as the backup MIKE. Reggie Jones is listed as the #2 punt returner, and has looked solid this fall at CB.
(6) A couple redshirt freshmen continue to impress at cornerback. Eric McMillan gets the starting nod opposite senior J.R. Ruffin, while Kyle Williams will be backing up Ruffin.
(7) Former walkon Derek McCleod, a redshirt freshman out of Coeur d'Alene, will work as the #2 free safety. In addition, redshirt freshman Josh Bousman will work as the #2 strongside linebacker (SAM) behind junior Nate Nichols.
As expected, there is a significant amount of youth throughout the Vandal depth chart. However, the team is playing with an energy level that has seemed to be missing the last few years, and preliminary reports are that overall team speed has seen a nice improvement this fall.
All of which should make for an interesting match-up this Saturday in Boise.
GoVandals.net Recommended Stories
2015 NFL Mock Draft 1.0
We're at the halfway mark of the NFL season, so here's our first crack at a mock draft. Hey, Oakland Raiders, you're on the clock!Read More
Updated 2017 Top 50
In early July, Scout.com introduced a 2017 top 15. After spending time watching sophomores during the July evaluation periods and in the fall, it's time to extend that list to a top 50. DeAndre Ayton,…Read More
Fish Backwaters to Beat Tough Fall River Bite
If you're having a tough time catching bass this fall on your favorite river, you might want to read this tutorial from Bassmaster Pro Stephen Browning. Browning has won a lot of money fishing rivers…Read More
Mad’s World: Giants Ride Bumgarner To Title
It's a rare series when a starting pitcher truly has the biggest influence of any player on the field. But in the 2014 World Series, San Francisco Giants' left-hander Madison Bumgarner clearly was the…Read More
How the CFB Playoff Will Look in December
With the first rankings released, we project the rest of the season and predict the final four...Read More
- Vandal Football Twitter Account
- This seems like it's going to sort of suck for CFB
- UMass kicked out of the MAC
- Despite struggles, Idaho Vandals determined to adapt...FBS
- UI vs WSU 1958. Neale Stadium. Keith Jackson announcing