For 2005 the Vandals lose a senior starter at cornerback and a senior free safety (and captain) from…
Idaho Announces Depth Chart
LINK: VandalVenue.com Depth Chart
There are some noteworthy observations with the first official depth chart, some of which include the following:
(1) The loss of Hank Therien forced a significant shuffling of the Vandal offensive line for the season opener. Nate VanderPol moves from right tackle to left tackle to take over for Hank, while Jade Tadvick moves from guard to right tackle. The guards will be manned by senior Tony Kiel and junior Ryan Waage, with junior Jarrod Schulte lining up at center. The backups, though talented, will be young and inexperienced.
(2) Senior Brian Yarno moves from runningback to tightend, and will backup senior Willie Sipoloa. It is uncertain how much action sophomores Luke Smith-Anderson and Keith Greer will see in the game as they continue to recover from injuries (mostly sustained last season).
(3) Among the top 6 receivers are Jeff Stowe (2003: 11 games, 30 receptions for 316 yards and 4 TDs), Jimmy Labita (2003: 11 games, 26 receptions, 438 yards, 2 TDs), Wendell Octave (2003: 11 games, 19 receptions, 322 yards, 2 TDs), and Bobby Bernal-Wood (2003: 7 games, 15 receptions, 181 yards). Rounding out the top of the rotation is junior Robert Nembhard and incoming freshman Desmond Belton.
(4) Cliff Mason and Justin Wall earned top 2 honors at runningback.
(5) Three true freshmen made the defensive 2-deeps, including Jevon Butler who is listed as the starter at strong safety. Evan Ruud joins fellow tri-cities native Brandon Kania as his backup at DE, while the Ben Alexander will work as the backup MIKE. Reggie Jones is listed as the #2 punt returner, and has looked solid this fall at CB.
(6) A couple redshirt freshmen continue to impress at cornerback. Eric McMillan gets the starting nod opposite senior J.R. Ruffin, while Kyle Williams will be backing up Ruffin.
(7) Former walkon Derek McCleod, a redshirt freshman out of Coeur d'Alene, will work as the #2 free safety. In addition, redshirt freshman Josh Bousman will work as the #2 strongside linebacker (SAM) behind junior Nate Nichols.
As expected, there is a significant amount of youth throughout the Vandal depth chart. However, the team is playing with an energy level that has seemed to be missing the last few years, and preliminary reports are that overall team speed has seen a nice improvement this fall.
All of which should make for an interesting match-up this Saturday in Boise.
GoVandals.net Recommended Stories
Dr. Roto Video: Week 8 Strategy
Should you keep Fred Jackson or cut him? Should you cut Zac Stacy or trade him? Each team requires its own strategy based on different circumstances and Dr. Roto does his best to clarify your…Read More
Who's Hot? Week 8: Trevone, Pitt D, Kirby
The stud teams, players, coaches and trends from Week 8Read More
10 Rules For Night Shift Walleyes
Autumn walleye anglers turn their bows toward the launch ramp as the sun sets and evening temperatures begin to fall. That’s when Steve DeZurik begins his fishing shift.Read More
National Anthem Played with a Gun!
Musical targets? Yes, this guy plays the national anthem while shooting musical targets.Read More
The Haunted History of the White House
The Executive Mansion isn't just home to the First Family. It's also home to a variety of...ghosts.Read More
- Vandal Football Twitter Account
- This seems like it's going to sort of suck for CFB
- UMass kicked out of the MAC
- Despite struggles, Idaho Vandals determined to adapt...FBS
- UI vs WSU 1958. Neale Stadium. Keith Jackson announcing