2012 Compu-Picks Analysis: Looking at the impact of key week one upsets
GAME WEEK: Idaho at Bowling Green
Below is our Q&A with B.J. Fischer, writer at FalconBlog, addressing questions about the 2012 BGSU squad.
1) Describe for us what happened last week at Florida. BGSU played an impressive game at The Swamp, as the Gators who went into the game as 30-point favorites won by a final margin of just 27-14, in a game that was tied half way into the 3rd quarter. Did the Falcons surprise you? What was most effective for BGSU in that game?
The short answer is yes, they surprised me. BG played a very tough, competitive game and really did themselves in, as they often do, with a bunch of mistakes in the 4th. Now, Florida committed a ton of penalties and they were messing around with their QB so they did open the door a little bit and the Falcons held it open for a while before it closed. What worked for BG was a strategy of keeping the game close until the 4th. BG was very cautious on offense, careful to take care of the ball, and kept Florida from getting going on offense. Overall, we were pleased with the effort, if disappointed by the 4th Q lack of plays, which has plagued us.
2) Who are BGSU's top weapons on offense? Likewise, are there any weaknesses in the BGSU attack?
BG is strongest at RB--where MAC Freshman of the Year Anthon Samuel leads a stable of 4-5 game ready backs. BG's QB Matt Schilz seemed completely different on the field at Florida. He is much bigger than he was last year, and he was so much more confident and poised. Time will tell, but he could be in for a big year. The OL is improved over last year and played well at The Swamp although is not out of the woods due to starting two R-FR. Finally, BG lost almost all its WRs from last season and while the play was decent in Florida from this unit, there were some key drops, so the WR unit is also a question mark.
3) The BGSU defense made the Florida game close. What do you expect them to do well in 2012? On the flip side, what are some areas that will be problematic as the season progresses?
I think everyone is very optimistic about the defense. The line has improved a lot and gotten a lot stronger and the LBs are very good. Even the d-backs appear to be much more productive. Our best player is a D-tackle, Chris Jones. He is drawing multi-teams on every snap and is incredibly difficult to keep out of the backfield. If anything is a weakness, it is that the defense remains very young with only a couple of seniors on the unit.
4) Is this a BGSU team that you expect to compete for a MAC title this year? Why?
Anything could happen. My pick to win our division was Ohio U, and based on last week, that's looking pretty good. Also, there are 2-3 tough teams in the West. I think BG can easily be 8-4 and make a bowl and that's a nice turnaround for a program that was 2-10 two years ago. If we catch a couple breaks and win in Athens (against OU) then who knows. Also, next year, the Falcons will be senior dominated.
5) What kind of crowd to you expect this Saturday for the Falcons' home opener? Was the team's performance at Florida a lightning rod for excitement going into the 2012 season?
I certainly hope so. Season ticket sales were way up this year with over 90% renewal. Let's hope for a clear night with no rain and I think we'll have a really nice crowd. I'd be hoping for something in the high teens.
GoVandals.net Recommended Stories
Dr. Roto Video: Week 12 Recap
Dr. Roto watched all of Sunday's action and has compiled for you a recap of all the Fantasy comings and goings. Denver Broncos RB C.J. Anderson (pictured above) may have solidified himself as the team…Read More
Scout College Football Top 30- Week Thirteen
The top 30 teams in college football after Week Thirteen...Read More
Outdoorsman's Gift Guide: Christmas 2014
Finding just the right present for that special someone can be a challenge, so we’ve compiled a wide variety of hunting, fishing and outdoor gifts that you—or Santa—can deliver this Christmas.Read More
Scout's ACC All-Century Team
There have been so many great basketball players in the Atlantic Coast Conference since 2000, but which have been the very best? We break down the Player of the Century, Best Coach, Best Freshman, and…Read More
The First Thanksgiving: 10 Myths and Facts
The story of the first Thanksgiving is filled with folklore and legend. But what’s the real story? Here are 10 commonly believed myths about the First Thanksgiving debunked.Read More
- Vandal Football Twitter Account
- This seems like it's going to sort of suck for CFB
- UMass kicked out of the MAC
- Despite struggles, Idaho Vandals determined to adapt...FBS
- UI vs WSU 1958. Neale Stadium. Keith Jackson announcing