GAME WEEK: Idaho at Bowling Green
Below is our Q&A with B.J. Fischer, writer at FalconBlog, addressing questions about the 2012 BGSU squad.
1) Describe for us what happened last week at Florida. BGSU played an impressive game at The Swamp, as the Gators who went into the game as 30-point favorites won by a final margin of just 27-14, in a game that was tied half way into the 3rd quarter. Did the Falcons surprise you? What was most effective for BGSU in that game?
The short answer is yes, they surprised me. BG played a very tough, competitive game and really did themselves in, as they often do, with a bunch of mistakes in the 4th. Now, Florida committed a ton of penalties and they were messing around with their QB so they did open the door a little bit and the Falcons held it open for a while before it closed. What worked for BG was a strategy of keeping the game close until the 4th. BG was very cautious on offense, careful to take care of the ball, and kept Florida from getting going on offense. Overall, we were pleased with the effort, if disappointed by the 4th Q lack of plays, which has plagued us.
2) Who are BGSU's top weapons on offense? Likewise, are there any weaknesses in the BGSU attack?
BG is strongest at RB--where MAC Freshman of the Year Anthon Samuel leads a stable of 4-5 game ready backs. BG's QB Matt Schilz seemed completely different on the field at Florida. He is much bigger than he was last year, and he was so much more confident and poised. Time will tell, but he could be in for a big year. The OL is improved over last year and played well at The Swamp although is not out of the woods due to starting two R-FR. Finally, BG lost almost all its WRs from last season and while the play was decent in Florida from this unit, there were some key drops, so the WR unit is also a question mark.
3) The BGSU defense made the Florida game close. What do you expect them to do well in 2012? On the flip side, what are some areas that will be problematic as the season progresses?
I think everyone is very optimistic about the defense. The line has improved a lot and gotten a lot stronger and the LBs are very good. Even the d-backs appear to be much more productive. Our best player is a D-tackle, Chris Jones. He is drawing multi-teams on every snap and is incredibly difficult to keep out of the backfield. If anything is a weakness, it is that the defense remains very young with only a couple of seniors on the unit.
4) Is this a BGSU team that you expect to compete for a MAC title this year? Why?
Anything could happen. My pick to win our division was Ohio U, and based on last week, that's looking pretty good. Also, there are 2-3 tough teams in the West. I think BG can easily be 8-4 and make a bowl and that's a nice turnaround for a program that was 2-10 two years ago. If we catch a couple breaks and win in Athens (against OU) then who knows. Also, next year, the Falcons will be senior dominated.
5) What kind of crowd to you expect this Saturday for the Falcons' home opener? Was the team's performance at Florida a lightning rod for excitement going into the 2012 season?
I certainly hope so. Season ticket sales were way up this year with over 90% renewal. Let's hope for a clear night with no rain and I think we'll have a really nice crowd. I'd be hoping for something in the high teens.
GoVandals.net Recommended Stories
Peyton Manning Breaks All-Time TD Record
Peyton Manning emerged alone atop yet another category in the NFL record book tonight vs the Niners, as he tossed touchdown #509 under the national spotlight of Sunday Night Football (NBC). (Photo…Read More
LenDale White escorted out of the Coliseum
Former USC and NFL running back LenDale White added tons of drama to what was a relatively quiet Homecoming weekend for the Trojans.Read More
Video Tip: The 1-Minute Golf Swing
Here’s a way to watch football and improve your golf swing at the same time. In your living room (or on the range), practice the one-minute golf swing, as shown in this video. Set the timer on your…Read More
Dr. Roto Video: Week 7 Recap
Dr. Roto, like many others, can't believe Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson (pictured above) passed for over 300 yards and rushed for over 100 yards in the same game. First time that's ever happened…Read More
Windy Weather Whitetails
As soon as those winds fall off, get into the stand! I always tell people you can't kill them if you aren't out, but if you want to try and pick an opportune time – this is it.Read More
- Vandal Football Twitter Account
- This seems like it's going to sort of suck for CFB
- UMass kicked out of the MAC
- Despite struggles, Idaho Vandals determined to adapt...FBS
- UI vs WSU 1958. Neale Stadium. Keith Jackson announcing